JOSEPH THOMAS COYLE, BA, MD
- Harvard title(s): Eben S. Draper Professor of Psychiatry and Neuroscience
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 617-855-2101
- Fax: 617-855-2705
- Office Address: Mailman 122
- 1973-76 Psychiatry, Johns hopkins Hospital
- 1970-73 NIMH, Laboratory of Julius Axelrod, Ph.D.:
- Board Certifications(s):
- Clinical Interests: Schizophrenia, developmental disorders
- Bio: Joseph T. Coyle, M.D. holds the Eben S. Draper Chair of Psychiatry and Neuroscience at Harvard Medical School. From 1991 to 2001, he served as Chairman of the Consolidated Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, which included the nine hospital programs of psychiatry affiliated with the Medical School. After graduating from Holy Cross College, he received his medical degree (M.D.) from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1969. Following an internship in Pediatrics, he spent three years at the National Institutes of Health as a research fellow in the laboratory of Nobel laureate Julius Axelrod, Ph.D. He returned to Hopkins in 1973 to complete his Psychiatric residency, in which he is board certified, and joined the faculty in 1975. In 1980, he was promoted to Professor of Neuroscience, Pharmacology and Psychiatry; and in 1982 he assumed the Directorship of the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, being named the Distinguished Service Professor in 1985.
Dr. Coyle is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences (1990), a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1993), a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, a fellow of the American College of Psychiatry and fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He served on the National Advisory Mental Health Council for the National Institute of Mental Health (1990-94). He is Past-President of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (2001) and Past-President (1991) of the Society for Neuroscience, an organization with more than 35,000 members. He sits on over 20 journal editorial boards including JAMA and is the Editor-in-Chief of the Archives of General Psychiatry, the most highly cited journal in the field (citation impact:15.98).
- Publications: (PDF)
PubMed search for Coyle JT [au]