KAREN L. SMITH, PH.D.
- McLean title(s): Postdoctoral Fellow
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: (617) 855-2547
- Fax: (617) 855-2023
- Office Address: MRC 215, Bay E
- Degree(s): Karen received her B.Sc. in Anatomy (2004), her MSc. in Neuropharmacology (2006) and her Ph.D. in Pharmacology (2010) from the National University of Ireland, Galway.
- Bio: Karen is interested in understanding the neurobiological mechanisms underlying the development and treatment of mood disorders, particularly anxiety and depression. While working at University of Pennsylvania, Karen investigated the role of serotoninergic receptors in depression using in-vivo models. Her doctoral work focused on the modulation of neuroendocrine, neurochemical and behavioral responses to stress by the endogenous imidazoline-binding site ligand harmane. At McLean Hospital, Karen works with Anita Bechtholt-Gompf to examine the role of glial cells in depression, anxiety and alcoholism.