MAKOTO TANIGUCHI, PHD
- Harvard title(s): Instructor, Department of Psychiatry
- McLean title(s): Assistant Neuroscientist, Integrative Neurobiology Lab
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 617-855-4102
- Office Address: Mailman Research Center Room 313, BayD
- Bachelor in Life Science — Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Tokyo, Japan
- Master and Ph.D. in Biology — Tokyo Metropolitan University, Tokyo, Japan
- Bio: Makoto is interested in studying the mechanisms in epigenetic gene regulation underlying emotional experiences such as Drug reward/addiction and stress. Makoto received Ph.D. in biology under the supervision of Dr. Shin-ichi Hisanaga at Tokyo, Japan. For the postdoctoral training, he joined the Dr. Christopher Cowan lab and studied molecular and behavioral neuroscience. As an instructor, he has worked in the epigenetic mechanisms under the drug and stress condition. In the McLean Hospital, he was awarded a Kaneb fellowship in Psychiatry for supporting depression research.
Publications in Cowan lab
- Taniguchi M, Carreira B. M., Smith N. L., Zirlin C. B., Neve L. R., Cowan W. C. Histone deacertlase 5 limits cocaine reward through cAMP-induced nuclear import. Neuron, 2012, 73, 108-120
- Pfeiffer BE, Zang T, Wilkerson J, Taniguchi M, Maksimova MA, Smith, LN Cowan CW, Huber KM. Fragile X Mental Retardation Protein is required for synapse elimination by the activity dependent transcription factor MEF2. Neuron, 2010, 66, 191-197.
- Pulliparacharuvil SG, Renthal R, Hale CF, Taniguchi M, Xiao G, Kumar A, Dewey CM, Davis M, Nairn A, Greengard P, Nestler EJ, Cowan CW. Cocaine regulates MEF2 to control synaptic and behavioral plasticity. Neuron 2008, 59: 621-33.
- Asada A, Takahashi J, Taniguchi M, Yamamoto H, Kimura T, Saito T, Hisanaga S. Neuronal expression of two isoforms of mouse Septin5. J. Neurosci Res. 2010, 1;88(6):1309-16.
- Taniguchi M, Taoka M, Itakura M, Asada A, Saito T, Kinoshita M, Isobe T, Hisanaga S. Phosphorylation of adult type Sept5 (CDCrel1) by cyclin dependent kinase 5 inhibits interaction with syntaxin1. J. Biol Chem. 2007, 282:7869-76.