Fact Sheet (PDF)
The Community Support Program of McLean Hospital
Dost Öngür, MD, PhD, director
Waverley Place is a community-based rehabilitation program of McLean Hospital offering comprehensive, coordinated care and support for adults with chronic psychiatric illness. Rehabilitation and living plans are collaboratively designed by staff and center members, taking into account such circumstances as housing, employment and education; psychiatric services, spiritual and social needs; and individualized goals.
Services and Support
Waverley Place offers a place for members to socialize, gain support, use computers and phones, attend skill-building groups, participate in creative and social activities or simply relax. Members can frequent the center as much as they choose on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm. Among the services offered are:
- Job skills assessment and training; job search, placement and on-the-job support; volunteer work opportunities.
- Assistance in locating and evaluating all levels of supported and independent housing.
- Assistance in accessing benefits and other resources.
- Skills training in the areas of money management, personal health and household activities.
- Assistance with accessing and coordinating medical and psychiatric care.
- Opportunities for activities and social contact to provide structure and reduce isolation.
- Computer lab access: Instruction available six hours weekly.
- Exercise club: Passes are available to the Waverley Oaks Athletic Club in Waltham.
- Arts/crafts/music: Support for varied creative interests.
Members of Waverley Place have access to the program’s multidisciplinary staff of social workers, a rehabilitation counselor, an occupational therapist and peer counselors. Peer counselors are individuals who are living healthy and productive lives managing their psychiatric illness.
Individuals interested in becoming members of Waverley Place can be self-referred, referred by McLean providers or referred by programs and providers within the greater community.
There is a monthly membership fee of $300; however, because the program is funded in part by an endowment, a reduction in this fee is available for those who qualify.
The program operates weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm and Saturdays 10 am to 2 pm.
Waverley Place is located a half mile from McLean at 12 Church Street, Belmont, Mass. For further information, call 617.484.0193.
About McLean Hospital
U.S. News & World Report ranked McLean Hospital first among all freestanding psychiatric hospitals. McLean Hospital is the largest psychiatric facility of Harvard Medical School, an affiliate of the Massachusetts General Hospital and a member of Partners HealthCare.