CHILD & ADOLESCENT
|Macleans Magazine (04/07/2011)
Teenagers wired to take risks (pdf) (link)
|Download Brochure (pdf)|
|For Canadian Residents (link)|
The Klarman Eating Disorders Center at McLean Hospital
Esther Dechant, MD, Medical Director
Patricia Tarbox, LICSW, Program Director
Founded with the generous support of the Klarman Family Foundation, the Klarman Eating Disorders Center at McLean Hospital provides state-of-the-art treatment for young women ages 16 to 26. Housed in its own building on the grounds of McLean, the center provides a unique therapeutic environment conducive to recovery.
The center is comprised of a highly trained multidisciplinary team, of expressive therapists, nurses, nutritionists, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and teachers. Team members follow each patient throughout her course of treatment. An added benefit of the program, staff are particularly skilled at treating co-existing conditions, such as substance abuse, depression, trauma-related disorders, anxiety disorders and other co-occurring psychiatric conditions.
Assessment, Treatment Planning and Therapeutic Modalities
Treatment plans are individualized for patients at each level of care and are based on a contract with the patient, her family and the center staff. The plans are continually reviewed and re-negotiated as needed, and integrate the following:
KEDC Schedule (pdf)
Clinical Staff Bios (pdf)
- thorough initial psychiatric evaluation;
- review of comprehensive physical examination and a complete review of the patient’s
- psychotherapeutic interventions for the individual and family;
- nutritional assessment and ongoing therapy;
- cognitive and dialectical behavior therapies;
- symptom-management skills;
- ongoing psychiatric assessment, including medications;
- creative arts, vocational therapy and body image work;
- educational classroom through grade 12;
- social skills and interpersonal relationship training;
- relapse prevention, and
- close coordination of care and discharge planning with community-based treatment team.
A Continuum of Expert Care
The Residence at the Klarman Center provides a supportive, highly structured environment allowing patients to take full advantage of all of the above treatment modalities. It provides an attractive, home-like setting that offers both privacy as well as a strong sense of community. It is designed to help patients maximize their ability to use the full spectrum of therapeutic services. The overall goals of a stay at The Residence include improved symptom control, enhanced self-esteem and a greater sense of personal and family well-being.
A discussion group in the Klarman Center
A bedroom in the Klarman Center
Partial hospital services are fully integrated into The Residence. At the partial hospital, the patient continues treatment during the day and through a supervised evening meal. Patients are then able to practice their newly acquired coping skills at home in the evening. The emphasis is on providing a smooth transition to home by learning and practicing the necessary skills that help reduce the potential for relapse and provide a sufficient level of stability for the patient to succeed in outpatient treatment.
- Academy of Eating Disorders aedweb.org
- Eating Disorder Resources www.Ednmaryland.org
- Eating Disorders Online www.eatingdisordersonline.com
- Multi-service Eating Disorder Association www.medainc.org
- National Association for Males with Eating Disorders www.NAMEDinc.orr
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders anad.org
- National Eating Disorders Association www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
- Newton Wellesley Eating Disorders and Behavioral Medicine www.nwedbmed.com
- The Gail R. Schoenbach F.R.E.E.D. Foundation freedfoundation.org
For further information, call 617.855.3410, fax 617.855.3409 or e-mail email@example.com.
Information McLean Hospital accepts Medicare, many private insurances and managed care plans.
About McLean Hospital
U.S. News & World Report named McLean America's #1 Hospital for Psychiatry in 2013 . McLean Hospital is the largest psychiatric facility of Harvard Medical School, an affiliate of the Massachusetts General Hospital and a member of Partners HealthCare. For more information about McLean visit us on www.facebook.com/ McLeanHospital or follow the hospital on Twitter@McLeanHospital.