MAILMAN RESEARCH CENTER
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center
A brain tissue slide
The Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center, or "The Brainbank," was established at McLean Hospital as a centralized, federally funded resource for the collection and distribution of human brain specimens for research. It is one of only three such centers in the country and the only designated acquisition center.
The tissue gathered by the Brainbank provides a critical resource for scientists worldwide in their investigations into the functioning of the nervous system and the evolution of many psychiatric diseases. Over the past decade research has shown that the study of human brain tissue is essential to increasing our understanding of how the nervous system functions.
This lab has its own website here.
- Francine M. Benes, M.D., Ph.D., - Director, Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center (e-mail)
- Edward D. Bird, M.D. - Director Emeritus
- Joseph T. Coyle, M.D. - Senior Consultant
- Anne B. Young, M.D., Ph.D. - Senior Consultant
- John C. Hedreen, M.D. - Associate Director, Neuropathology (e-mail)
- George Tejada, M.S. - Assistant Director, Tissue Processing (e-mail)
- Timothy Wheelock - Assistant Director, Neuropathology (e-mail)
- Maureen Medeiros - Adminstrative Manager (e-mail)
- Patricia A. Georgopoulos - Administrative Coordinator (e-mail)
- Marina R. Buchanan - Adminstrative Secretary (e-mail)
- Louis Fernandes - Senior Dissectionist (e-mail)
- David J. Ennulat, Ph.D., Database/Network Manager (e-mail)
External Scientific Advisory Board
- M. Flint Beal, M.D.
- William E. Bunney, Jr., M.D.
- Marie-Francoise Chesselet, M.D., Ph.D.
- Carl M. Leventhal, M.D.
- Carol A. Tamminga, M.D.
- John Q. Trojanowski, M.D., Ph.D.
- Stanley J. Watson, Ph.D., M.D.